The Back Facts
The epidemic of back pain is enormous: It's a $44 billion industry, it's the leading workers' comp injury, it's the leading reason for disability for people under the age of 45, it will strike 90% of all American adults, it's the second-leading surgical procedure, and it's only getting worse.
Up to 85% of the US Population will have Back Pain at some time in their life.
- On any given day6.5million people are in bed because of back pain.
- 5.4million Americans are disabled annually due to back pain.
- An estimated93million workdays are lost each year due to back pain.
- 90%of all back pain resolves in 6-12 weeks.
- 5-10%of low back pain becomes chronic.
- Only20%of all back surgeries are successful after 2 years.
- The total number of spine surgeries in the U.S. approaches800,000per year.
- An estimated$45 – 54billion is spent on the treatment of low back pain per year.